Note from Vina8: This is the second in a series of posts about survival kits written by Repsfo.
Here is the first actual kit to go along with the “on-person” items listed in my first post.
This Mini-Kit is intended to keep a person alive for 24-48 hours. The assumption is that you have at least most of the “on-your-person” items on your person and have some type of a water bottle or canteen (single wall metal) with a Qt/Ltr or so of water in it.
|Mini-Kit (pouch)||Weight in Oz(0= < 1 Oz)|
|Space Blankets (2)||4|
|Cord 4 Ft||0|
|Zip-Lock Freezer Bags (2)||0|
|Floss Cord (5 Yds)||0|
|Band Aids (4)||0|
|Sugar (2 Pkts)||1|
|Smoke Bomb (small)||1|
|Magnifying Glass (small)||1|
|Orange Marker Tape (10Ft)||0|
|LED Solar Light||1|
|Total Weight #||0.65|
(Click on the picture to see a larger view.)
This kit weighs around 1/2 pounds and fits in a pouch not much bigger than a cigarette pack.
No reason not to have this on you when day-hiking, biking, jogging, or walking the Greenway.
Inventory of Kit Contents
- Space Blankets can be used one for shelter/cover, one for you to wrap up in.
- 4 ft of para-cord allows you to lash two tri-pods together for supporting a ridge pole for a shelter.
- Zip lock Freezer bags (heavy duty) would allow you to collect rain water run-off from the space blanket if necessary.
- Book matches are a first try, worthless if they get wet. You can keep them inside the Zip-lock bags.
- 8Ft of wire for constructing shelter or hanging metal water bottle over fire from a tri-pod. Could be used for snares, but hopefully you won’t be there that long to need them.
- 5 yds of dental floss, super strong weighs nothing. Lashing, repairing.
- 4 band-aids supply a minimum of FA supplies, clean a cut/burn/ blister and cover it.
- 2 Sugar packets, add one to Qt/Ltr of water minimal calories.
- Smoke bomb emits white smoke for about 5 seconds useful for signaling during the day.
- Metal Match- good for about 10 lightings before the fuel dries up. Will light when wet.
- Magnifying Glass helps find and remove splinters as well as lighting fire during the day.
- Orange marking tape (plastic) about 10 ft. For signaling or for marking your way back if you explore.
- Signal mirror flashes can be seen for more than 10 miles during the day.
- The 3 LED Solar rechargeable light is redundant, but better two then none! Save one for signaling at night.